Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sick Kiddos

In a word, heartbreaking. It doesn't matter if it is a skinned knee, a raging ear infection or projectile vomiting. Anytime that Abby is sick or hurt and she looks at me with that "please help me/make the pain stop" face I just want to join her in a good cry. For such a strong, smart, independant little lady, when she truly truly needs me I just want quit my job and never leave her again. At 2 years old, Abby is on her 10th ear infection, 3rd one since tubes placed 8 months ago. Oh and the tubes are now on their way out, awesome! That means 10 rounds of antibiotics, 7 episodes of fevers spiking to 104.8 (the last 3 have been miraculously fever free), 10 weeks of taking several doses of tylenol or ibuprofen, 10 times that her little ears cause her terrible pain, do I need to go on. Along with this she has had 3 sinus infections, the 3rd also being right now, and her first experienc with pink eye. The sinus infection leads to drainage which leads to coughing, mostly while lying down, which leads to no sleep, for anyone.
What is the point of this? That even with all this on her plate, she still smiles and loves life. Sure she is a little more sensitive to things like the word "no," but in general you would never know she was sick by the way she acts. This is amazing to me. Where does she find this inner strength to laugh in the face of illness? Most adults I see in my clinic, and me for that matter, look like they are on their deathbed with just a sinus infection. Just one of the 3 things that Abby is fighting right now. Kids truly are remarkable. They bounce back from just about everything and it takes a LOT to dampen their spirits.
Everyday Abby gives me another reason to be in awe of her which makes me love her even more than the day before. She is my inspiration and the joy of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment