Saturday, November 12, 2011

Where did that come from?

So, recently Abby has developed the ability to repeat everything we say. Do you know where this is going? I exhibited some road rage and politely suggested to the driver in front of us that he "move his @#$." Immediately from the backseat I hear "moooove ash!" Not just once, but in broken record mode until I could get her talking about something else. Now it hasn't been said since, but this was the first of what I am sure will be many similar moments. When we are cleaning or moving things and Abby gets underfoot it is not unusual for us to ask/tell her to "move out of the way honey." It is always followed with a please and the tone is not frustrated at all. However, when this phrase is repeated by, oh, say a toddler, it results in some embarrassment at the store. We were in Target and she was in the cart and we had to squeeze past another cart. I politely said excuse me and smiled at the other shopper. Abby, not able to control her tone or remember entire phrases, manages to say "move out the way" while shaking her finger (honestly don't know where that came from). I told her that was not polite and to apologize, which she did, but my face was still a shade of red.
Abby does pick up on things really quickly and remembers what to say in certain situations so now we just say "hi" to the same person 50 times or "excuse me" until they are out of site or "thank you berry much" until the other person stops replying with "your welcome." We are making progress!
The blessing right now is that we can hold very short conversations with Abby now. She is enunciating really well and is speaking in sentences, it is awesome to be able to communicate finally. The curse however is that she can say exactly what she is thinking, wherever we might be. If I lift her into the cart at the store and her leg gets a little stuck going in, she will let me and everyone else around know that "mommy, you hurt my leg." Luckily this doesn't upset her and cause tears and a scene, she is simply telling me exactly what just happened. The guy in the other aisle doesn't know that though. Life is full of this type of situation currently. I am just glad that for the most part I really don't care what people, who don't know me and I will never see again, think of me. 
The last thing I want to share is pretty cute. I mentioned in another post that Abby has been having some problems with pooping. Well, the other night she was fussing right after we got her out of the bath. I asked her what was wrong and if something hurt. She said "my tutty hurts." Your what? She just kept repeating until I asked her to show me. She pointed at her bottom. Ahhhh, your bottoms hurts? Yep. So we know what the problem is and take a peak and use a little diaper cream to sooth said area. Then I tell Jason that I would love to know who taught her to say that when referring to her bottom. We do nickname some things but they need to be names we have decided are appropriate alternatives, not someone else. He looked right back at me and said "Umm, what do you call her every time she passes gas?" Well I call her Tooter Pants...oh, right. We always ask if she just made a tooter or we call her tooter britches or other equally mature names. Seems Abby called it exactly what she thought it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment